Archive for Summertime living
Summer is quickly approaching and we will be spending more time outdoors around beautiful Lake Gaston. With some pre-planning and these quick tips, you can be ready to play and enjoy all your outdoor time:
- Take In A Breath of Fresh Air: On warm spring days (before or after pollen season) open your windows, air out your house. Clean and repair screens to enjoy the greatest benefits from the warm breezes.
- Clean out the cobwebs: Clean the ceiling fan blades of dust and cobwebs. Check that the blades are rotating counter-clockwise for summer air circulation. In years past, front porch ceilings were painted blue to keep the spiders away. Last summer, we painted our screened porch ceiling sky blue and our spider population really decreased. There is an interesting interview on NPR that talks about blue porch ceilings.
Folklore or not, it is worth a try.
Comfy Furniture: To enjoy your leisure time outdoors make sure your furniture is comfortable. If you can’t invest in the best, start with inexpensive plastic furniture and cushions that you can easily replace when the budget allows. I invested in our porch furniture over twenty years ago. Every five to seven years, I have re-covered or replaced the cushions. Most of our guests say our porch seating is the best seating in the house!
- Prep the Grill: Summertime is barbecue time! Clean your grill, check the gas ports, fill the propane tank and empty the grease traps.
- Grow Your Own: Whether you have limited space or a large plot, consider growing your own produce. It can save money, help you eat healthy, limit the pesticides in food and help our planet. If you are new to vegetable gardening, tomatoes, basil, herbs and lettuce are a few easy veggies to start with.
- Illuminate the Dark: For safety’s sake, illuminate all outdoor paths and stairs. There are many new LED lighting options to efficiently do the job.
- Lighten up your Closet: Move the heavier, darker clothes and boots of winter to the back or far side of your closet. Make room for the sundresses, flip-flops and bathing suits.
- Freshen Up Your Guest Rooms: Fluff up your bedding and replace your pillows or give them a spin in the dryer on air dry with a fabric dryer sheet. Add a value priced duvet cover or matelasse coverlet to give a fresh look to the room.
- Pump It Up: Inflate all the water toys and check for leaks. It’s no fun having the kids all ready for a ride and not have use of their favorite floating vehicle.
- Get Your Lounge On! Put on your shorts or favorite swimsuit, head to the deck or pier and “get your lounge on”. Enjoy!!!
What do you look forward to most about summer at the lake? Tell us and maybe we can help you enjoy it even more!
Mary Sherwood Lake Living – working with you to create your lifestyle!