Archive for tips
It is bittersweet that I am writing my final Design Wisdom Wednesday MSLL blog post. After a year of enjoying my new MSLL family and making lots of new, forever friends, my husband and I are transporting our family to Virginia Beach.
The hardest part about facing the relocation is leaving the ones you love, and the second hardest part is…moving! It forces you to clean out forgotten spaces, to sort through old clothes, and to tackle the infamous “junk” drawer. Over the past couple of weeks, I have learned that the key to packing is organizing the chaos and I have gained some invaluable moving tips.
1. Purge, Purge, Purge. The key to packing is to never move what you will never use. It’s the ideal time to get rid of unwanted items and to conveniently “lose” your husbands holey t-shirts. Contractor bags have become my new best friend! They are larger and more durable than standard garbage bags and allow you to get rid of big items without using multiple bags.
2. Use linens and towels to wrap breakable items. They both have to be packed, so why not combine them to cut down on the need for additional packing materials. Use inexpensive Styrofoam plates in between dishes to cushion them throughout the process.
3. Shrinkwrap your entire silverware drawer rather than individually wrapping each set of utensils. It will keep them from shifting and will make unpacking a cinch. Screw caps tightly on spices and pack them in large ziplocs to keep them together.
4. Slip garbage bags over multiple hangers rather than folding hanging items. It will protect them and allow you to simply place them in the closet when you arrive at your new home.
5. Label, Label, Label. Once you’ve boxed up your items, be sure to label them according to which room they should be place upon arrival. It will assist your movers and prevent lots of questions the day of the move. In addition, be sure to label the contents of the boxes so that essential items can be unpacked first.
6. Bribe, Bribe, Bribe. Keep your movers motivated and/or entice your friends to help by supplying pizza and beverages! It will be greatly appreciated.
7. Savor the moments before the move. It is easy to become overwhelmed with such a hectic time in your life, but remember to make time for the people that you are moving away from. They are the most important thing that you will leave behind!
Thanks for the memories and big love to all my MSLL family!
Mary Sherwood Lake Living – working with you to create your lifestyle on Lake Gaston and Beyond!
At Mary Sherwood Lake Living, we believe that design is not merely your surroundings, but also your lifestyle!
In honor of Easter, we’d like to present a medley of tips….
Gingerbread houses are usually thought of as a painstaking process…stir up the gingerbread batter, roll it out, cut out the shapes, bake the individual parts, erect the house, and finally, the fun part, decorate. The ingenious moms at The Candy Cottage have done the hard part for us and created a ready-to-decorate gingerbread house. They simply need some candy and icing along with your imagination. They can be decorated to celebrate any occasion, but we’re highlighting the Easter house.
The houses come individually packaged with snap together pieces that easily fit together to form the house. Once constructed, simply adorn the house with icing and Easter candy such as jelly beans, pastel Reese’s Pieces, tiny marshmallows, and pastel M&Ms.
Another great tip is converting your everyday deviled eggs into “devilish” easter egg chicks. Simply hard boil and cut your eggs in half crosswise. Cut a thin sliver off the bottom half of the egg to help it stand upright. Scoop the filling below into the bottom half of the egg, place the top on, and adorn with black peppercorns for eyes, and a triangle of carrot for the beak. Voila!
Devilish Easter Egg Filling:
- 12 Egg Yolks
- 1/3 c. Wasabi Cucumber Dill Sauce (available at MSLL)
- 2 tsp. dijon mustard
- Salt and Pepper
Lastly, why not make your easter drinks look adorable as well? Simply push a straw lengthwise through a bunny Peep and serve with your favorite springtime beverage. Too cute!
So however you decide to celebrate this Easter holiday, do it with style…
Mary Sherwood Lake Living – working with you to create your lifestyle!